CCNP SWITCH Practice Exam:
Virtual LANs (VLANs)
By Chris Bryant, CCIE #12933
To help with your CCNP SWITCH exam success, here are 10 free questions to test your knowledge of Virtual LANs and trunking protocols. Enjoy! Answers are at the bottom of the page.
1. Which of the following is true of ISL?
A. Uses the native vlan.
B. It is an open-standard protocol.
C. Does not use the native vlan.
D. It's Cisco-proprietary.
E. Places a 4-byte header on the frame.
F. Encapsulates the entire frame.
2. When dynamic VLANs are in use, what value decides a switch port's VLAN membership?
A. The host's MAC address.
B. The VLAN configured on the port.
C. The host's IP address.
D. The IP subnet the host is part of.
3. For what purpose is VMPS used?
A. creation of dynamic VLANs
B. dynamic VTP server assignments
C. enables the switch to dynamically locate TFTP servers
D. dynamic discovery of non-connected switches
4. What protocol does VMPS use to listen to client requests?
5. In an Etherchannel, what mathematical operation decides the physical channel that will actually carry the data from a particular source to a particular destination?
6. By default, what number is assigned the default VLAN?
7. What command disables a switch port's ability to trunk?
A. switchport trunk off
B. switchport mode access
C. switchport auto
D. switchport no trunk
8. Which of the following is a legitimate combination of LACP port settings that would result in an Etherchannel being formed?
A. passive - passive
B. active - active
C. auto - auto
D. dynamic - dynamic
9. Which of the following is true of dot1q encapsulation?
A. Changes the source and destination MAC address
B. Uses the native vlan
C. Places a header on frames destined for native vlan
D. Places a header on frames not destined for native vlan
E. Encapsulates the entire frame
F. Is the industry standard
G. Does not understand the native vlan
H. Does not change MAC address in any fashion
10. Where does a VMPS server keep its MAC address database?
A. In its ROM
B. In its NVRAM
C. On a TFTP server
D. In its RAM
Answers right after this brief and important message!
I guarantee you'll pass all 3 current CCNP exams before the January 29, 2015 deadline with my CCNP All-In-One Video Boot Camp...
... if you don't, you get the fully-updated courses for the new exams FREE!
At long last ... the answers!
1. (C, D, F.) ISL is Cisco-proprietary, encapsulates the entire frame, and doesn't understand the concept of the native VLAN.
2. (A.) The host's MAC address decides the VLAN the switch port will become a member of.
3. (A.) The VLAN Membership Policy Server allows creation of dynamic VLANs.
4. (D.) VMPS uses UDP to listen to client requests.
5. (C.) Exclusive OR (XOR) determines the physical channel that will carry data inside the Etherchannel from one specific host to a specific destination.
6. (B.) By default, the native VLAN is VLAN 1.
7. (B.) When you configure a port as an access port, you're effectively disabling its ability to trunk.
8. (B.) If both ports are in LACP Active mode, an Etherchannel can form. Dynamic-dynamic is a PaGP combination.
9. (B, D, F, H.) Dot1q uses the native vlan, places a header on frames not destined for the native vlan (no header on frames destined for native vlan), is the industry standard (making it appropriate for multivendor environments) and does not change the MAC address in any way.
10. (C.) VMPS keeps its MAC address / VLAN assignment database on a TFTP server.
More CCNP SWITCH tutorials are just a click away!