Cisco CCNA Certification Practice Questions:
Distance Vector Routing & Static Routing
By Chris Bryant, CCIE #12933
To help you with your CCNA certification exam prep, here are 10 free questions on distance vector routing and static routing. Answers and explanations are at the bottom of the page. Enjoy!
1. You have just booted a Cisco router. After you open the interfaces, what routes should you expect to see in the routing table?
A. Connected networks only.
B. Connected networks and a single default static route.
C. None - the routing table is empty until a routing protocol populates it.
D. None of these.
2. The command to create a static route in the routing table is ____________ .
3. Which of the following statements will create a static route that will send packets to the destination IP address 184.108.40.206, but no others?
A. ip route 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.255 18.104.22.168
B. ip route 22.214.171.124 0.0.0.0 126.96.36.199
C. ip route 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.255
D. ip route 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168 0.0.0.0
E. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 22.214.171.124
F. ip route 0.0.0.0 126.96.36.199 0.0.0.0
4. Which of the following static routes will send only traffic destined for the 188.8.131.52 /24 network to the next-hop IP address 184.108.40.206 ?
A. ip route 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.0 18.104.22.168
B. ip route 22.214.171.124 0.0.0.255 126.96.36.199
C. ip route 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.0
D. ip route 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168 0.0.0.255
5. Short answer: What letter in the routing table code indicates a static host route?
6. You configure the static route shown here, and then attempt to ping that remote destination. Based on the ping output shown, what is most likely the problem?
R3(config)#ip route 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.255 126.96.36.199
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 188.8.131.52, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
A. This is an illegal IP ROUTE command, so the local router has no route to 184.108.40.206.
B. The downstream router located at 220.127.116.11 does not have a route to 18.104.22.168.
C. The exit interface of 22.214.171.124 is in fact the exit interface, so routing will fail.
D. The exit interface is closed.
7. Fill in the blanks: The full command to see all debugs running on the router is ____________ , and the full command to turn off all running debugs is ____________ .
8. You are configuring router LA, and want to configure a gateway of last resort to router NY.
Router LA will be sending this traffic out its interface serial0, which has an IP address of 126.96.36.199.
Router NY will be receiving this information on its interface serial1, and this interface has an IP address of 188.8.131.52.
Which of the following statements will successfully configure a gateway of last resort?
A. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 184.108.40.206
B. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial1
C. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0
D. ip route 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 220.127.116.11
E. ip route 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 serial1
F. ip route 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 18.104.22.168
G. ip route 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 serial0
H. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 22.214.171.124
9. Fill in the blank: The default behavior of a distance vector protocol that does not allow a router to send a route advertisement out the same interface upon it was originally learned about is ____________ .
10. Look at the configuration below and identify the true statement.
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
A. A subnet mask must follow "126.96.36.199".
B. The RIP version number must follow "188.8.131.52".
C. A wildcard mask must follow "184.108.40.206".
D. Nothing should follow "220.127.116.11".
The answers follow this brief, important message!
For A Limited Time, I'm Training CCNA Candidates For $1 A Day.
Click This Banner Or This CCNA On-Demand Boot Camp Link And Join Them Today!
Here are the answers!
1. A - When you first view a routing table on a Cisco router after opening the interfaces, you'll see only the directly connected networks.
2. That command is ip route.
3. A. Of the six statements presented here, only the following will send packets to 18.104.22.168 but will route no other packets:
ip route 22.214.171.124 255.255.255.255 126.96.36.199
188.8.131.52 = final destination
255.255.255.255 = a 32-bit subnet mask, this means that only the specific destination preceding it will match this statement.
184.108.40.206 = the next-hop IP address
There is a default static route presented in the choices, but it would match all possible remote destinations, not just 220.127.116.11 as the question asked.
4. A. Only this route fulfills the requirements:
ip route 18.104.22.168 255.255.255.0 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 = remote network destination
255.255.255.0 = subnet mask
188.8.131.52 = next-hop IP address
5. A static host route is a route used to reach one and only one remote destination, such as this: ip route 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.255 172.18.13.201
These routes are indicated just as other static routes are - with "S".
An asterisk indicates a candidate default route.
6. B. This output is the result of a downstream router not having a path to 220.127.116.11. The "U" refers to "unreachable", and this is one of those rare times that a ping returns more than one character.
The router would not let you enter 18.104.22.168 for the IP ROUTE command if that were an interface on that router itself.
There is no problem with that IP ROUTE command; it is a static host route.
7. The commands are shown in action here:
IP packet debugging is on
All possible debugging has been turned off
8. A, C. These are the only two routes that will work:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 22.214.171.124
To configure a gateway of last resort, we create a default static IP route.
The default static route begins with "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0", so the answers with 255.255.255.255 for those two values can be eliminated.
A static route, default or not, follows this syntax:
ip route < destination_network > < subnet_mask > < next_hop_IP OR exit_interface >
If you configure an IP address at the end of this command, it must be the next hop IP. If you configure an interface type, it must be the local exit interface.
In this situation, the route "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0" is not a great choice, but it would configure the gateway of last resort. Configuring a next-hop IP address is a preferred method and is easier to troubleshoot.
9. Split horizon prevents a router interface from advertising a route out the same interface upon which it was learned about in the first place.
10. D. Literally, nothing can follow the network command in a RIP configuration.
For over 400 additional tutorials, videos, and practice exams, visit my CCNA/CCNP Certification Tutorials page...
.. right after you take advantage of this offer!
I'm Paying It Forward Bigger Than Before...
The CCNA Study Package Is Now $25!
"You are the reason I'm a CCNA today!" - Paul Laudenslager
To your success,
"The Computer Certification Bulldog"